These three themes have been resonating with me throughout the past week, especially this past weekend. They have also been recent focuses of prayer in how I how I feel God is wanting to use me for His glory.
Love. For Jesus ultimately, for the people He's placed in my life right now, and for His gift of life every day. In light of 1 Corinthians 13, I am seeing how my heart needs to change in order to better love the people around me and, therefore, better love God. "Love does not envy or boast." "Love is not self-seeking." "Love is not irritable or resentful." When faced with a situation in which I am tempted to do the opposite of what the Bible describes as godly love, these verses keep reminding me that it's good to admit when I'm wrong, to take joy in others' achievements, and to focus on God and His Word, not myself, as my source of Truth.
Humility. It is inextricably linked to love. I see how tangibly the Spirit has been responding to my prayers for humility and where He's been saying, "You need to let go of your pride in this. Trust Me. Come and follow Me." He's pushing me far out of my comfort zone in this, but I always think that's when I grow the most in all areas of my life.
Hospitality. Love and humility are also necessary for this. Every time I've entered a person's home here, I've felt so incredibly welcome and like I am truly a part of someone else's famiglia. My parents serve as a great example of this - consistently going above and beyond opening up their home to others and cooking more food than the guests are ever able to finish (Mom normally cooking and Dad normally eating ;)). As someone who has a difficult time sharing even one wedge of a clementine, I definitely need to work on hospitality. It's great I have so many wonderful examples around me.
When I first met Nice, she gave me a big abbraccio and bacio (hug and kiss) and fed me lots of
food. She takes her students on special trips, buys us gelato because we "have to try it," and makes reservations at restaurants for our birthdays. Nice doesn't need to do any of this, but she acts out of love, humility, and hospitality.
![]() |
| Anna with homemade tiramisù |
Last week, I had a welcome dinner for my cooking class at Anna's house. Her and her husband Aldo welcomed 12 of us into their tiny apartment for a delicious love-cooked meal. I don't know where she gets the money to pay for the food she'll make to feed 23 students each week, but she is too humble to ever let us feel like a burden. It really feels like her joy to have us.
![]() |
| Kelley, me, Nice, Vanessa, and Paul with the balsamic vinegar |
| Montebarazone (can you tell I like panoramics?) |


No comments:
Post a Comment