"For apart from [God] who can eat or who can have enjoyment?" - Ecclesiastes 2:25
After four-plus days of adjusting to the wonderful city of Florence (Firenze), I've finally decided to make a blog. While this is not my first time traveling, nor my first time in Italy (thanks Mom and Dad), I still think it is important to keep track of and share the many new experiences that are sure to come throughout my semester abroad. So enjoy!
![]() |
| Gelato (fragole) |
| Gusta Pizza |
sure to categorize this coming semester. But like the author of Ecclesiastes asserts, all is "vanity" or "meaningless" if I have these things without God. He gives it all meaning and every good and perfect gift is from above! I'm certain I'll be seeing many of His good gifts while abroad (like the pizza and gelato pictured). I plan to start, walk through, and finish this physical and spiritual journey with Christ as my motivation and guiding light.
It is very evident to me how He has already been guiding me. My trip got off to a rough start at JFK airport. We were trying to figure out how to get my luggage sent directly from New York to Florence. I doubtfully would have been able to go through customs, baggage claim, and re-check my luggage in Rome during my one-hour layover. Moral of that story: If you talk to the right people and are persistent you can make almost anything happen. Shedding a few tears doesn''t hurt either.
In the airport in Roma I met my current roommate for the week, Vanessa. We've been getting along great and will be in the same apartment building (called Nice - pronounced "nee-chay") for the duration of our stay in Parma. There are 23 people in my program, 5 males, and everyone seems to be meshing pretty well so far. No one person seems to be left out, which is great! We all stay in the Hotel Meridiana together for our one week in Florence, then we'll all be split up a little more once we arrive at our separate apartments or home stays in Parma.
![]() |
| "Gates of Paradise" - Ghiberti |
Among places I've visited outside of class are the Duomo, Basilica di Santa Croce, Boboli Gardens, Palazzo Pitti (Pitti Palace), several leather shops to try on jackets I can't afford, and Gusta Pizza, as per the recommendation of every BC person I've talked to who's been to Florence. If I think the food is good here, I can't imagine what it will be like in Parma! My diet mainly consists of pasta and cheese...it's a good thing we've been walking an average of 9 miles each day!
| View from the top of the dome of the Duomo |
| Boboli Gardens with Palazzo Pitti in back (a.k.a. future wedding location) |
![]() |
| Basilica di Santa Croce with some new friends |
| Ponte Vecchio (Old Bridge) in the background |
I would also like to wish a VERY HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY to Annie! Wish we could be celebrating together but I'm sure you're having a great time in Dublin! Much love to my family and friends...more to come soon :)



I am soo glad you are doing this Beanie!! Looks like you are having a great time already.. Keep the pictures coming. And Happy Birthday Annie!!! Love you and miss you my sweet girl
ReplyDeleteMama
what a wonderful adventure you are on!!! Happy Birthday and enjoy your time there... we spent one day in Firenze... probably not enough but fun anyway!! Looking forward to more of your blog!! xoxo Jen
ReplyDelete