Monday, January 28, 2013

Nice

Nice ("nee-chay") is the name of the woman who owns my apartment building. She is also the host "mom" of two BC students in the Nice Apartments and is one of the sweetest women ever. Nice's family has lived in this 16th-Century house for at least four generations. Her "children" are the BC students every semester. From the moment we met her, she hugged and kissed all of us. I felt right at home! There are five of us in the apartment: Vanessa and Kelley live together, Paul lives on his own, and Jackie and I live together. We all get along really well - I think this is going to be a great semester!

Nice's gift!
On my birthday, Nice brought me this Sicilian snack and pulled my left earlobe 22 times (which seems like the equivalent of 22 "good luck birthday punches" I probably would have received in America). The next day, Nice cooked me a delicious birthday dinner (since we had the Parma welcome dinner on my actual birthday). The five of us in the "Nice family" feasted on perfectly-cooked al-dente pasta mixed with Parmesan cheese (obviously), ricotta cheese, and pumpkin! We also had fried artichoke, baked cauliflower, and other delicious sides.


For dessert, I was asked to go next door to get Annetta to join us for chocolate/brownie cake. Annetta is 95 years old and is Nice's former unofficial nanny. She comes up to my shoulders when she's standing straight, speaks only Italian, and reminds me so much of my great-grandma GG. Part of me wishes I did an actual home stay here in Parma, but I feel like living in the Nice Apartments gives me the best of both worlds: independence, but also coming home to a family. But of course no one can replace my real family...I can't wait for you all to see Italy!



My birthday dinner: (left to right) Jackie, Paul, me, Nice, Annetta, Kelley (Vanessa taking the picture)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are in a Home away from Home!! Can't wait to come and see all you are experiencing!!! Love you and miss you my Beanie

    ReplyDelete